Wednesday 13 February 2013

First Impressions

So, I've finally started to read the book. I must say, I'm not very impressed. It is not a thriller/mystery novel like some of the reviews I've read described it as. I guess I just had the wrong mindset going into the book. The book is mostly about the life of a disfunctional family. There are a lot of problems with the family, and they have poor communication. To be honest, the plot its pretty dull. Nothing exciting or shocking really happens. Maybe that's because I just started, but I have ideas for what's to come. Moreover, I can't seem to get attached to the charecters. The main kid, Hooker, seems oblivious to the problems going on around him. Iris the maid, while at times can be nice and helpful, can be a jerk at times. The Aunt which takes care of the mother is a straight up meanie. The father, from what I've read seems demanding and bossy. I don't have anyone to side with or anyone I can cheer for or connect to! I don't like any of the charecters, the story is bland (maybe because I haven't quite gotten into it) and I can't connect to anything in the book. Perhaps I will be able to make connections later on, or learn about what life in other parts of Canada is like, but for now, no. Or maybe when I dive deeper in the story I will enjoy the book more. Not exactly a page turner, I can tell you that.

No comments:

Post a Comment